Friday, March 7, 2008

Super Freak

This is going to be somewhat of a rant, so if you can't stand it, avert your eyes now. I like to ride the bus. Yes, it has its downside. But, I can get a lot done that I would never be able to do otherwise and save a lot on gas in the process. I think sometimes my friends feel sorry for me because of my lack of brain cells and they give me rides. Mainly I ride the bus because it goes right by my house. I used to ride my bike a lot of places and I will probably go back to that, but there are a lot of idiots out there. They drive like they don't care about anyone else. If you haven't ridden on the road with cars that are traveling at around 50 mph, you have no idea what I'm talking about. What it all comes down to is this: I don't have much time for anything right now. By riding my bike, I get a little exercise. I am also a cheapskate. That's why the bus was kind of a no brainer right now. I am going to Graduate school at WSU Vancouver. That means I am able to get a bus pass for just $180 a year! Mostly, the bus only works well if I am riding in Vancouver, and even then it can be annoying. I do drive my Car sometimes. I am a little different than most people. If I can get something in town, I won't use the car if I don't have to. I can walk to work in 20 minutes and ride my bike in 10. The bus gets me there about 15 minutes after I leave my house for the bus stop. I am hoping more people will start riding the bus because it's not very convenient right now. Then they will add more service out here. With gas now at $3.50 at my local Chevron, I am using my car as little as possible, so I can still enjoy the weekend treks into the mountains that will now cost $20 or more depending on how far I go. My question to you is: How long can you go without using a car? This includes riding with someone else. If I had to, I could go quite a few months, since everything I need is right here in town. I could walk to work, church, and the store. Other places further away I could ride my bike. The farthest bike trip I have to take is to WSU campus, which takes about 30 minutes one way to ride my bike. So, tell me how long you think you could go without your car. Make believe that gas has reached $10 a gallon and you just can't take it anymore. The other question I want to know is how high would the price have to get in order for you to start considering other methods of transportation. Thanks for participating in my informal survey and I look forward to reading your comments.

2 comments:

Mr. E. said...

Hmmmm. Let's pretend gas is $10 / gallon. I would ride my bike more, for sure. But I really hate riding the bus; I don't know why, but it really irritates me. I think I'd still drive, but I'd try to do it less. We already are driving less (and slower). But for me, the car would be a convenience I'd absolutely hate to give up.

Whatever

Squeaky said...

Is it because you have to stick to a schedule or is it all the weirdos that ride the bus (there's actually not that many of them). Would you buy a small electric commuter vehicle for 8-10K?